Join Our Team
The Cambria Community Healthcare District has approximately 30 employees who work both full or part-time. Our positions include:
Emergency Medical Technician (EMT)
We are accepting applications for Paramedic and EMT positions.
Description: The Cambria Community Healthcare District is conducting a testing process for a Part-time Paramedic hiring list. The testing process is open to all Paramedics currently licensed in the state of California and currently accredited in San Luis Obispo County. This list may last up to 1 year.
How to Apply: Applicants shall submit a completed job application either in person or by mail. All required certificates and licenses, and a current resume must be submitted with application. Applications may be found below.
Requirements: Current California Paramedic License, Valid BCLS Card (Heart Association, Red Cross, or equivalent), Current Medical Examiners Certificate, Ambulance Driver's Certificate, Clear DMV and DOJ record. Current TB Test, ICS 100, ICS 200, ICS 700, ICS 800, Covid-19. Copies of the following certificates if you have them; ACLS, PALS, PHTLS, EMS Health and Wellness, Sexual Harassment training, Ambulance Drivers Safety Class, Active Shooter, EMS Health and Wellness, ACLS, PALS, PHTLS, or any other certificates that are important to this flied.
Salary and Benefits: 12-hour Shifts Reg $24.70, O.T. $37.05/ 24-hour shifts Reg. $22.10. O.T. $33.15
Filing Deadline: Continuously accepting applications
Testing Date: Continuously accepting applications
Contact Info: Tim Benes; Operations Manager, Paramedic
Open vacancies are filled through the establishment of a one year hiring list.
This list is formulated prior to the vacancy by means of an application acceptance period followed by a written test, practical skills demonstration and an oral interview.
Applicants are then assigned a numerical ranking with the top position receiving authorization to obtain a paid physical/medical examination paid for by the Cambria Healthcare District.
The finalized number one applicant is then offered the position.
Subsequent vacancies within the year are offered to the next applicant in established order.
All new employees are subject to an initial one-year probationary period.
Our testing and applicant selection process...
- Written Test
- 50 National Registry style question test
- Physical Agility Test* The Physical Agility Test is a timed test with a maximum allowed time of 10 minutes to complete.
- 1. Applicant must complete a written Medical Questionnaire and Release form.
- 2. Test begins with a steady 5 minutes of "stair steps". Followed by an equipment carry where applicant will pick our fully equipped airway bag, medical bag, and trauma bag, and safely climb two flights of stairs twice. Next, the applicant must complete an equipment shuttle where the applicant will shuttle six pieces of EMS equipment 20 yards from one location to the next one piece at a time. Lastly, the applicant will be tested on their ability to safely raise and lower a manual gurney with 150 pounds of weight on it.*The Physical Agility Test may be modified depending on the weather on the day of testing.
- Skills Demonstration The applicant will demonstrate an EMT Basic or for Paramedic an Advanced Level Skill. Paramedic applicants are subject to a National Registry style verbal scenario.
- Oral Interview 20-30 minute oral interview with the Hiring Committee.
Full-time Paramedics and EMTs are scheduled on a regular basis to work a minimum of 56-hours per week on an assigned A, B, or C shift schedule, typically a minimum of 10 shifts of 24 hour per month or a 42 hour per week, 12 hour per shift schedule.
Full Time Benefits:
- Health and dental coverage: Entitled to participate in a group health and dental insurance plan. We pay up to 90% of coverage for the employee with 2 dependents.
- Retirement pension: PEPRA Safety Employees 2.7% at 57, per the Pension Reform Act AB 340
- Compensatory Time Off (CTO) accumulation
- Paid Vacation and Holiday accrual
- Paid sick time
- Step increase pay scale
- Life insurance: Term life insurance of $50,000
- Continuing education pay: Reimbursement up to $450 per fiscal year for continuing education course attendance.
All new full-time employees are subject to a 12 month probationary period. At the end of the probationary period, the employee receives a written performance evaluation. At that time, the employee will be made a Regular Full-time employee or be dismissed.
Part-time Paramedics and EMTs are not scheduled on a regular basis to work minimum hours per week, but are instead assigned to work one or more of the following, a 12-hour shift, 24-hour shift, event standbys, or on an as-needed basis where the schedule and hours of work will vary per month.
Part-time employees are not subject to full-time benefits. Some may be eligible for CalPERS benefit based on hours worked in calendar year and or if they are currently or perversely have been enrolled in the CalPERS.
- Age: 18 or older
- High School Diploma or GED/SHSPE Certificate
- Valid California Class C Drivers License
- Valid California Ambulance Driver Certification Endorsement
- Valid State of California Emergency Medical Technician (EMT) Certificate or Paramedic License
- Current Healthcare Provider Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) Card (Heart Association, Red Cross, or equivalent)
- Accreditation in San Luis Obispo County (for Paramedic)
- Clear DMV and DOJ records
What we need from you
Copies of your:
- Current California Paramedic License or EMT Certification
- Valid BCLS Card (Heart Association, Red Cross, or equivalent)
- Current Medical Examiners Certificate
- California Drivers License
- California Ambulance Driver Certification Endorsement
- San Luis Obispo County Accreditation Letter (for Paramedic)
If available, copies of your:
- Current (within 1 year) Tuberculosis (TB) Screening Results
- Hepatitis A & B Series
- COVID-19 Vaccine Record
- Hazardous Materials First Responder Operations (FRO) Certification, or 1 Year Continuing Education
- FEMA National Incident Management System (NIMS ICS 100, 200, 700, and 800) Certifications
To request more information, please call or email:
Phone #: (805) 927-8304
If you are interested in applying for a position please fill out an application and submit ALL required certifications and mail to:
Cambria Community Healthcare District
Attention: Administrative Staff
2535 Main Street
Cambria, Ca 93428
Click on the desired link below and print the Paramedic or Emergency Medical Technician (EMT), Required Certifications, and an Employment Application.EmploymentApplication.pdfParamedicRequiredCertifications.pdfEMTRequiredCertifications.pdf