Cambria Health Care Services


HOME

Board Meeting Dates and Announcements

 

Agency Information
Address & Contact Info

Administrator
Board of Trustees


Board Meetings

Minutes, Agendas,

Meeting Recordings,

Board Packets, Financials- Audits and Budgets

 

Employment Applications

 

Ambulance Operations

 

Ambulance Stats

 

Community Health
& Education
CPR - First Aid Classes

 

Project Heartbeat
Fundraising

 

CERT Information

 

Proclamation

 

Web Links

 

Email Us

 

 

 

 

 

AGENCY INFORMATION

Board of Trustees | District History | District Area Photos

Administrative
Office Address

1241 Knollwood Circle, Suite 202, Cambria, California 93428

Administrative Office Telephone

805-927-8304 

805-927-0185 fax

Ambulance StationAddress

2535 Main Street, Cambria, California 93428

Ambulance Station

Telephone

805-927-8081

805-927-3141 fax

Emergency Telephone

911

Billing Inquiries

805-927-8304

Office Hours

Normal hours are Monday through Thursday, 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM.  Staff are subject to meetings, vacation and emergency calls, therefore it is possible that the offices will temporarily not be open to the public. We recommend calling ahead to make an appointment.

Meetings

The regular meetings of the District occur on the third Wednesday of each month, beginning at 1:00 P.M.,at the Old Cambria Grammar School @ 1350 Main Street, Cambria.  The meeting dates are sometimes subject to temporary change.  Agendas are posted at least 72 hours in advance.  The posting site is the entrance to the administrative offices, and the ambulance station, 2535 Main Street.   Special Meetings may be called by the Board President as needed.

Professional Building

This building has three suites:  

  • Suite A is leased by Commmunity Health Centers 805-927-5292, 2511 Main Street.

  • Suite B and Suite C is leased by Community Health Centers

  • 805-927-5292, 2515 Main Street.

 

Additional Phone Numbers

  • San Luis Obispo County Health Department: 
    805-781-5500

  • San Luis Obispo County Sheriff's Department: 
    805-781-4550

  • San Luis Obispo County Emergency Medical Services Agency, Inc.:  805-788-2511

  • Cambria Community Services District Fire Department:  805-927-6240

  • Cambria Community Services District Offices: 
    805-927-6223

ADMINISTRATOR & BOARD OF TRUSTEES

Robert W. Sayers Jr.

ADMINISTRATOR

    

    *  Hired on May 1, 2014

    *  Masters in Business

        Administration      

    *  County resident for 21

        years

    *  Has enjoyed a long career in the healthcare field

Mary Anne Meyer

VICE PRESIDENT

  • Healthcare District Trustee elected December 2014, term expires December 2018

  • Retired Case Records Analyst

Barbara

Bronson

Gray, R.N., M.N.

TRUSTEE

  • Healthcare District Trustee elected November2012, term expires December 2020

  • B.S in Nursing, M.N. in Administration, Healthcare Journalist, Communications Consultant

Shirley Bianchi

Trustee

  • Healthcare District Trustee elected November 2016, term expires December 2020
  • Co-Founder of Martha's Place, diagnostic treatment center for children
  • Served 8 years on SLO County Planning Commission and 8 years on SLO County Board of Supervisors
  • Moderator-Cambria FireSafe Focus Group

Robert  "Bob"

Putney

PRESIDENT

  • Healthcare District Trustee elected 2010, term expires December 2018
  • Retired Fire Chief/Paramedic

Jerry Wood

SECRETARY

  • Healthcare District Trustee appointed September 2016, term expires December 2018
  • Retired City Of Pasadena/ Senior Plans Examiner-Fire Protection
  • B.A. Public Administration

 

DISTRICT HISTORY

1947

The District formation was approved by the local voting constituency and was authorized by the San Luis Obispo County Board of Supervisors to establish under California Health and Safety Code, Division 23, Section 3200, Hospital Districts.  Objective:  To attract physicians and dentists to locate their practice to the community

1948

Medical offices were leased by the District from a private party and in turn were rented (at a nominal amount) to a physician.

1951

The District took over operation of the ambulance services from the Cambria Chamber of Commerce, using volunteers via a telephone call list for emergency response.  The ambulance was located in a shed behind the old Bank of America building.

1957

The District purchases 2 lots from the Campbell Estate - Total price $3,500.  Construction begins on the "clinic" located on the new property on Main Street.

1958

The District built it's own "clinic" to provide medical offices that could be leased to a physician at a nominal rate.  This building was completed on land donated by the Soto Family at its present location on Main Street.  The District also began to purchase medical equipment for the physicians use.

1962

Total ambulance runs for the year were 54.

1963

The District expanded its facility by adding an ambulance garage and new medical office space, for future use of any additional physicians. Total ambulance runs for the year were 62.

1964

Total ambulance runs for the year were 82.

1965

Total ambulance runs for the year were 95.   Note: current ambulance call volume is displayed on this link:  ambulance statistics.   A 1965 Cadillac ambulance was purchased for $9,595.  Arrangements are made to house the older ambulance at the original garage behind the former Bank of America building at Main and Bridge Street.

ambulance

1967

Due to the communities request, the District added more office space for lease to a dentist.

1971

The District built a separate ambulance garage to house additional ambulances and create more room in the "clinic".

1972

In order to facilitate interest expressed by numerous residents of the District, the new office space was leased to a second physician on a trial basis in order to provide more choices in medical care.  The physician resigned before the end of the year.

1973

Again, at the request of community members, the District leased office space to a second physician, who retired from practicing in 1987.

1974

The District acquires a new "van style" ambulance from Wayne Corporation of Arkansas.  Due to numerous defects in construction, the vehicle was rejected and returned to the manufacturer.  The District also creates a full-time ambulance manager position to help coordinate the volunteers.

1976

In response to the County Emergency Medical Care Committee recommendations, the District hires a full-time Emergency Medical Technician ambulance staff, maintaining 24 hour ambulance coverage.  The ambulance is maintain at the crew's home.  The volunteer system continues to help augment the full-time personnel.

1977

The separate ambulance garage was remodeled into a crew quarters and office. During this year, an independent fund raising foundation called "Project Heartbeat" was established to purchase life-saving equipment.

1978

The District acquired a new Type 1 modular ambulance from Superior Corporation of Ohio, with the help of  financial aid from the State Office of Traffic Safety.  

chevy

1981

The medical building, usually referred to as the "clinic", was renamed the Professional Building.  Additional personnel are hired to provide an improved, full-time schedule rotation.

1983

The District, along with other County Emergency Medical Service Providers, upgrading to Advanced Life Support operations by sponsoring personnel to become Emergency Medical Technician II (intermediate paramedic). 

1984

The District acquires a second ambulance (used) to supplement the existing unit.  A back-up response system is established and is coordinated via the services of a local answering exchange company.  A part-time office assistant is also hired.

1985

In November, the Hospital District passes a Special Assessment (Measure B) by a majority vote.  This annual parcel assessment is established to raise monies for periodic ambulance and equipment replacement.  The annual fee was three dollars for an unimproved parcel, seven dollars for improved.

1986

The District enters the computer era to assist in billing and other bookkeeping procedures.

1987

The District purchases a new modular ambulance made by Excellance Corporation of Alabama.  The unit is a 1987 Ford Type III, consisting of an all-aluminum patient compartment.  A 1988 Ford Bronco II is also acquired to serve as a District utility vehicle.

1988

The personnel are upgraded to full paramedic status (EMT-P).  The staffing level was at four full-time paramedics and three part-time paramedics.  Additional equipment is purchased through Project Heartbeat to complete the upgrade.

1989

The District completes work on the installation and implementation of a new VHF radio repeater system.  The radios allow direct paging access of one or all pagers for back-up personnel response with second or third emergency calls.

1993

A new diesel type III ambulance (1992 model) is acquired from Horton Corporation of Ohio, contributing to an overall response system improvement.  The older ambulances are sold.

horton

1994

An additional paramedic position is established, allowing the Administrator to assume full-time office duties in addition to remaining available to help on emergency calls. The District also changes it's name from Cambria Community Hospital District to Cambria Community Healthcare District in order to distinguish its service level and mission.  The Crisis Intervention Team (CIT) is formed in September.  In November, the voters approve an increase to the special assessment, raising the unimproved parcel fee to $7.00 and the improved parcel fee to $20.  The increased funding allows for the hiring of an additional paramedic and for equipment replacement. The paramedic crews change from a 72 hour work week schedule to a 56 hour (average) work week schedule.

1995

A 1991 Type II ambulance made by Leader Industries of California, is purchased from San Luis Ambulance Service Corporation.  This unit becomes the third ambulance in the District's fleet, to be used as a reserve vehicle for primary/secondary unit replacement.  This ambulance is equipped via Project Heartbeat funding.

2000

The District purchases a new, Type II ambulance from Leader Industries, replacing the 1992 Horton Ambulance.

2002

The District purchases a new, Type II ambulance, also from Leader Industries.  This unit replaces the used Type II acquired from San Luis Ambulance Service.  The District also established it's web site.

2003

The District prepares to launch an annual newsletter, titled: Healthcare News, to all local District residents.

2005

Don Melendy becomes the new District Administrator after the retirement of his brother, Dave, at the end of June.

2005

The District administrative offices are relocated to 1241 Knollwood Circle at the end of October.  This new facility includes a multipurpose room for District meetings as well as CPR, First Aid, and Community Health Classes.

2006

Measure AA passes to accomodate the hiring of additional staff.

2007

July 1st, Paramedics & EMTs hired to staff 2 full time ambulances. Ambulance station remodel completed to house new personnel.

2008
The District purchases 2 new Sprinter Type II Leader Van Ambulances replacing Unit 9 which is sold, and increasing our fleet from 3 to 4 ambulances. CCHD staff begins teaching an annual CPR/First Aid class to all Junior High Students. CCHD staff start an annual drunk driving campaign.

 

 

Disclaimer - Web Link Statement - Privacy Statement - Acknowledgments
Contact Us

HOME
©2009-2011 Cambria Community Healthcare District
Web Issues Nancy McKarney - nancy@mckarney.com